The Stoddard-Dayton Company produced automobiles from 1905 through 1913. The Dayton Ohio based company was formed by John W. Stoddard and his Son Charles G. Stoddard. John had made his fortune in the agricultural business but by 1904 he decided to move into the ever evolving automobile manufacturing business. Charles was convinced that the gasoline combustion engine was the choice of the future and that the steam and electric vehicles were on the verge of becoming obsolete.
The early Stoddard-Dayton cars were outfitted with Rutenber engines designed by Edwin Rutenber. The Rutenber Motor Company was based in Chicago, Illinois and produced four-cylinder engines. Auburn also used Rutenber engines until 1923.
The cars were not only top-quality machines; they were also very potent on the race track. The company proudly advertised their many successful sprint races, hill climbs, dirt track races, and other sporting accomplishments. In 1909 a Stoddard-Dayton won the first race held at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway after averaging 57.31 mph. In 1911 the first pace car ever for the Indianapolis 500 was a Stoddard-Dayton.
By 1912 the Stoddard-Dayton Company had entered into receivership and by 1913 they were bankrupt. The Maxwell Company purchased the assets of the bankrupt Stoddard-Dayton Company Maxwell was later reorganized and became part of the Chrysler Corporation.
"Indy Car Recreation"
Engine: 354 Cu In Dual Cam 4 cyl Overhead Valve "Hemi"
Transmission: 3-Spd Sliding-Gear
Color: Grey/Red as the original #21
History: Manufactured from 1905 to 1913.
Car #21 was originally driven by
Jap Clemens in the opening events
at Indy, August 1909. In 1911, a
Stoddard-Dayton was chosen to be
the first Indy Pace Car.
Previous owner: Don & Joan Lyons